Pleasant Ridge, District # 14
Worth County Reporter--Dec. 1988
By Bill Gladstone & Jane Goff

This history of the Pleasant Ridge School was written by the late Jane Goff during the 1928/29 or 29/30 school year. Frances Goff furnished the material to The Reporter. When reading the article keep in mind that it was written 60 years ago.
So far, we have been unable to secure a picture related to the Pleasant Ridge School. We would appreciate having one we could run at a later date.
Pleasant Ridge School District # 14 was located in the north central part of Worth County, about 6 miles northwest of Grant City.
The first school in this district stood about 3/4 mile northwest of where the school was later located and on land owned by William West. It was near what was known as Grimes Ford and was first known as the Grimes School. The school and ford were named after a pioneer family in the area. The first building was a log structure about 24 feet square and it was built in 1858. It had but one window and a puncheon floor make of slabs sawed from native logs with the round sides and edges hewn so they would lay flat and fit closely. The seats were also make of slabs with holes bored near the ends at an angle and round sticks fitted in them so they crossed. There was one writing desk which was make by boring holes in a log in the wall and fitting round sticks in them and then placing a slab on top of the sticks.
The district at that time also included land which was later part of Lone Star, Honey Grove, Pleasant Valley and Isadora. This school building was located near an Indian Trail used by certain tribes of Indians from Iowa going south for the winter. Early pioneers told of seeing as many as 500 Indians camped along the ridge.
Mr. Hiram Andrews taught the school in 1861 at a salary of $20 per month and had an enrollment of 60 pupils. At this time Colburn Jackson, Democrat Governor of Missouri, ran off with the school money (Ed. Note: This was a Civil War related incident) and the directors made up the money to finish the term. The directors were Henry Fattig, Cumberland Wall and Elihu Rowen.
In about 1870 a new building was constructed by Alex Young about 3/4 mile to the southeast and was named the Pleasant Ridge School. In those days the schoolhouse was a community center and rallying place for the young people of the surrounding neighborhood. Along in the early 1870's there was a Christian Church at Isadora. Some internal strife in the church led to its disbandment. A portion of the congregation recognized at the Pleasant Ridge schoolhouse. For several years the congregation met at the schoolhouse and worshipped. The church membership grew until a church building was built north of the schoolhouse. Later the building was torn down and rebuilt in Isadora, the present home of the Christian Church.
In 1887 the school building caught on fire from a defective flue and burned. School was disbanded for the rest of that year and in the summer Henry Hagans built a new school building. This building, along with a later addition, was the final Pleasant Ridge School. The building, with the addition, was 20 beet by 41 1/2 feet.
At the April school election in 1928 the district voted to make the Pleasant Ridge a first-class school. Under the efficient management of the school board, consisting of Lawerence B. Day, Robert Bell and W.R. Zollman, and with the cooperation of the teacher and the pupils all of the requirements were met. On October 25, 1928, Miss Irene O'Brien, State Rural School Supervisor, and Mrs. Cora Early, County Superintendent of Schools, visited the school and recommended to the State Superintendent, Charles Lee, that it be approved as a first class school. On November 15, 1928, the school received its certificate of approval, the first to be issued in the county.
During the 1928-29 school year there were 15 pupils enrolled: Raymond Day, Velda Jennings, Glen Jennings, Beryle Downing, Pauline Kidney, Jack Bell, Billy Chicken, Orval King, Junior Bell, Roy Supinger, Nadine Chicken, Leland Hathaway, Ben Zollman, Marjorie Chicken and James Supinger.
In the 1928 Baby Beef Day Parade when each school represented certain countries the Pleasant Ridge School won first prize with their float, "The Mayflower", representing England in 1620. The pupils were dressed as Pilgrims.
In the County Spelling Contest, held in February, 1929, Marjory Chicken, a Pleasant Ridge student, won first place in the township contest held at Isadora and placed 2nd in the county contest held in Grant City.
In the 1929 Baby Beef Day Parade each school was to represent a state. The pleasant Ridge float, representing North Dakota, was entitled "The Blizzard" and placed 2nd in the judging.
Following is a listing, hopefully complete, of the teachers of the Pleasant Ridge School. Mrs. Wallace, Mart Ridge, Bob Linsey, Virginia Fisher, Mr. Griffin, Hiram Andrews, Bob McReynolds, Mary Sybert, Sarah Preston, Sim Trump, Aaron Zinc, Barr Hibbs, Dave hull, Mr. Harmon, Joe Ditmer, George Brown, Jesse Benson, Marion Brown, Chas. McQuigg, Pauline McQuigg, Anna Dewitt, Anna Ray, Harry Long, Harrison Keplinger, Earl Walker, Wake Sheridan, Will Brown, Naldo Brown, Sherman Rybolt, Jessie Davidson, Celia Long, Blanche Wyman, J.E. Wyman, Bertha Freeman, Elbridge Ridge, Della Hagans, Alice McCalla, Mable VanDeusen, Ballard Rybolt, Nellie Rybolt, Ona Anderson, Verna Clark, Mayhew Saville, Charley Cook, Maud Kidney, Gertrude Foland, Nellie Wisecup, Simeon Hathaway, Bessie King, Ruth Son, Olin Teasley, Kate Oehler, Beatrice Farrell, Lucille Hass and Mrs. Jane Goff.