History of Worth County
Worth County was organized in
February of 1861 and was the last of Missouri's 114 counties
to be formed. It encompasses 267 square miles and is the state's
What is now Worth County formed the extreme Northwest corner
of Missouri with the annexation of the Platte Indian Purchase
Territory in 1837. The county was first settled by Henry Lott
in 1840 and was named for New York General William Jenkins Worth
who served in the Florida and Mexican wars. Worth County was
roamed by Indians into the 1850's and was a strong Union county
during the Civil War.
Through Worth County, a fertile grain and livestock farming
area, flows the Platte and three main forks of the Grand River.
Mineral springs at the towns of Denver, platted in 1849, and
Allendale in 1855, were utilized as health spas in the 1880's.
The first county seat was located in Smithton and was moved in
Grant City in 1864. Among other communities are Oxford, laid
out in 1856, Isadora in 1864, Irena in 1882 and Worth in 1899.
Sheridan was founded when the Great Western Railroad was built
through the western part of Worth County in 1887.
Worth County Courthouse
The County Courthouse in Grant
City is a prominent landmark. Work started on what was the third
courthouse in the spring of 1889, and the building was completed
in late winter of 1899 for a total cost of $25,226.10. A centennial
celebration was held in the fall of 1998.
A granite monument honoring Glen Miller and John Mosbarger is
located on the S.E. corner of the Courthouse lawn. Glen Miller
received and learned to play his first horn from his employer
and band leader, Mr. Mosbarger, while living in Grant City during
the years 1915 to 1918.
Denver Access -
Located south of Denver at old Soward's Ford. The access is a
recreation and primitive camping area, maintained by the Missouri
State Conservation Commission.
Emmet & Leah Seat Memorial Conservation
Area - Located in Worth and Gentry Counties, 11 miles
north of Albany on Route C and four miles east of Denver on Route
M. Total acreage of the area is 3,164. More than 300 acres of
native warm-season grasses have been established and pasture-to-timber
conversion is being carried out on 200+ acres. Other habitat
management includes tree, shrub and grass plantings and forest
management. The area's diverse habitat provides food and shelter
for a wide range of game and non-game wildlife species. In cooperation
with agricultural agencies, the Conservation Department has developed
a demonstration farm on a portion of the area. Educational field
days open to the public are held annually and interested groups
can tour the farm throughout the year.
Worth County Lake - Located
in the southwest portion of the county, the lake occupies approximately
21 acres. The Worth County Lake offers fishing by pole and line
only and is stocked with bass, bluegills, crappie and channel
cat. There is a boat ramp available for boats using trolling
Grant City Recreational Complex -
Located in the northeast corner of town. The complex includes
a golf course, Scout cabin, roller skating rink and baseball
diamond. The Grant City Park features a swimming pool, sand volleyball
court, shelter house and modern playground equipment. The Worth
County Fairgrounds is located across the street west from the
Sheridan Burr Stone
The Sheridan Park displays this stone burr from a gristmill that
the original village was built around on the Platte River. The
stone burr crushed grain in that mill. The original village was
called Defiance but it's location and identity was changed to
Sheridan with advent of the railroad.
Denver Concrete Block Buildings
Long before the advent of mass-produced blocks, commercially
manufactured concrete blocks, builders
were using concrete blocks as building materials. One Denver
resident, Louis Powanz, made quite a mark on this little community
overseeing the construction of several concrete block business
buildings, the bandstand, and some stone fences (1904-1912) which
are still standing today. The old individually molded blocks
were much heavier than their modern counterparts. Usually, the
side of the block visible on the outside was not of smooth surface
but had a distinctive design. A builder could be recognized by
the block design. Historic preservationists consider these buildings
to be one of the most outstanding early-day block construction
displays in Missouri.
1950's Canvas Advertising Mural
A beautiful large canvas mural advertising piece from the 1950's
is located in the community hall in Worth, MO.
Denver Schoolhouse Museum
In 1870 a large and commodious,
good substantial frame school building was erected at a cost
of $2800 and a graded school instituted (the first in the county).
The application to the National Historic Registry is being worked
on at this time and restoration is continuing on this building.
The Museum is open by appointment and for special events.
Iron Markers Dividing Missouri from Iowa
On October 2, 1989 a bronze plaque on a stone of Missouri red
granite was dedicated by the Virginia Daughters Chapter of the
D.A.R. at the location of the original Northwest corner of Missouri,
located four miles northeast of Sheridan.
The plaque was placed beside the old cast iron post boundary
marker, remnant of the Honey War, placed there in 1950 marking
the boundary as determined by the Sullivan Survey in 1816. The
iron post was placed due north of Kansas City, but because of
the Platte Purchase in 1836, the boundary was later extended
west to the Missouri River.
Isadora Church of Christ
The congregation of the Church of Christ in Isadora was established
in December of 1900. Arrangements were
made to purchase and move the church building erected in the
Pleasant Ridge neighborhood(located approximately 3-4 miles northeast
of Isadora) in 1872 to the present location. The building was
divided into at least two sections to prepare for the move that
would be completed in June of 1901. The building as it appears
today is much the same with only a few changes. The small but
faithful congregation of present day strongly reflects the family
heritages of the original members.
The memorial was erected in 1896 to honor
those Union soldiers who had given their lives in the Civil War.
Mr. Del Eighmy, Sr. was commissioned by the local unit of the
G.A.R. to sculpt an appropriate monument to be placed in the
Grant City Cemetery. The stone was ordered from a quarry in Bedford,
Indiana and when the rough square stone arrived in Grant City,
it was the heaviest single object which had come into town on
the railroad. The stone was 3 feet square, 11 feet, 5 inches
long and weighed in excess of 8 tons. The stone came into Grant
City in April, 1896. By Memorial Day the work was finished and
had been placed on a heavy base at the cemetery. On Memorial
Day, 1896, a crowd estimated at 6,000 gathered in the cemetery
for the dedication ceremony.
Clive Rickabaugh Art Works
Two of the works of the nationally recognized
artist and sculptor, the late Clive Rickabaugh, can be seen in
the town of Sheridan. A mural depicting the beginnings of the
town as Defiance on the bank of the Platte River, and then as
the town of Sheridan some little distance to the west, covers
a wall in the Farmers State Bank Building. Carvings of The Last
Supper and other religious figures are located in the Christian
Church in Sheridan.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Annual 4th of July Breakfast (July)
Flea Market (July)
Allendale Rodeo August
Worth County R-III Alumni Reunion June
Rotary Golf Tournament June
4th of July Picnic Celebration July
Worth County Fair July/August
Glen Miller Days September
Craft Show at the High School November
Christmas on the Square December
Sheridan Alumni Reunion May
Old Defiance Days June
Worth School Reunion June
For more information call the Worth County Economic Developer
This webpage is available in the form of a brochure, the brochure
is a project of the Worth County Progress Organization Marketing/Tourism